Home Page

“A village school
in a town setting”

Holy Trinity Church of England Primary School

Local Offer & Offer of Early Help

Holy Trinity CofE Primary School


Local Offer

For Children with Special Educational Needs

All Gloucestershire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need(s) and or Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.


How does our school identify that children have special educational needs and disability (SEND)?

When children have already been identified with SEND before they start here, we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify what their SEND will be in our school setting and how we can manage it.


If you tell us you think your child has a SEND we will discuss this with you and look into it. We will share what we discover with you and agree with you what we will do next and what you can do to help your child.


If our staff were to identify that your child has SEN, this may be because they are not making the same progress as other children; for example they may not be able to follow instructions or answer questions. We will observe them, assess their understanding of what we are doing in school and use tests to find out what is causing the difficulty. Should we require further help we will contact the specialist external services, such as The Advisory Teaching Service.


What are the first steps our school will take if special educational needs are identified?

When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher must raise this with the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCO).


Our school also has meetings every term between each class teacher and a member of the Senior Leadership Team (Pupil Progress Meetings) to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as they could be.  From here, our identification process will begin and through close monitoring, the specific needs of your child will be established.


Targeted teaching or interventions may be used, whereby your child may receive additional support either in or outside of the classroom.  These are often run by skilled Teaching Assistants under the direction of the class teacher or SENCO and usually include small groups of children working towards the same/similar targets.  The following is a sample of the interventions that take place at Holy Trinity Primary School:

> Dancing Bears

> Plus 1

> Power of 2

> Numicon

> Language for Thinking

> Toe by Toe

> Read Write Ink

> Fizzy Programme


If your child is then identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more details

> To listen to any concerns you may have too

> To plan any additional support your child may receive

> To discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

> To discuss placing your child on the SEND register


What should parents/carers do if they think that their child has SEND? How can they raise concerns?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.


If you have further concerns that your child is still not making progress, you should speak to the SENCO or Head teacher.


Finally, if you wish, you can speak to the school SEN Governor.


How will our school include parents and pupils in planning support?

As their parent, you know your child best and as such, you are one of school’s greatest resources in addressing their special educational needs.  We aim to involve parents and, where appropriate, pupils at every level of support.


We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school.  We hope this will make sure that we are doing similar things to support your child both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.


The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.


All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCO  will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.


My Plans will be reviewed with your and your child’s involvement each term, setting new targets and evaluating previous targets that have been set.


A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


In addition, if your child is undergoing statutory assessment you will also be supported by Parent Partnership. They will ensure that you fully understand the process.


How will our school teach and support children with SEND?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.


> Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

> Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

> Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.

> Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCO) to support your child to learn.


Specific group work with a smaller group of children. This group may be run in or outside the classroom by a teacher/SENCO or most often a Teaching Assistant, who has had training.


> Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

> He/ she will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.

> A Teaching Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme.


These are often called ‘Intervention’ groups by schools.


Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy OR Occupational therapy groups


AND/OR  Individual support


> If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to excellent classroom teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress.

> Before referrals are made, you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

> You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.


> The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

* Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

* Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise

*A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group or sensory circuit

*A group or individual work with outside professional

> The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.


Specified Individual support - Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The Statement is being replaced, over time, by the EHC Plan.


> The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process.

> After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.

> After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need significant support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an  EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the existing support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

> The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

> The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


Click on link to access funding information- Parent Partnership Service  


Click on link to access Gloucestershire County Council 



How have we made this school accessible to children with SEN?

The school is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps and has a disabled access toilet.

We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

Enrichment activities are extended to all pupils irrelevant of their needs.

All extra-curricular clubs are fully inclusive and if necessary, school will make additional arrangements.

We have close links with an externally run before and after school club which is located on site.

As part of our inclusive curriculum, all school trips (including the residential trip) are available to all pupils, with any extra SEND provision being made where applicable.


Who will be working with your child?

Within our school your child will have a class teacher and teaching assistant(s).  They may work with the SENCO who will be overseeing their SEN provision. 

Other people or external agencies that may be involved include:

> Parent support worker

> LAC lead

> Attendance officer/ Education Entitlement and Inclusion

> Advisory teaching service

> Educational psychologist

> School nurse

> Occupational Therapy

> Physiotherapy

> Speech and language service

> Children and young people’s service (CYPs)


How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEN and what training do they have?

> The SENCO'S job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

> The school has a duty to provide continual professional developments opportunities for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as ASD, dyslexia etc.

> Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with an SEND.

> Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the ATS or EPS.


How does our school provide support to improve the emotional and social developments of our SEND pupils?

Our school provides pastoral care in the form of 1:1 support or small groups, as needed.

There is both a pupil attendance officer and safeguarding officer.

Many staff are first aid trained, including midday supervisors however we are unable to administer medication unless prior arrangements have been made with school staff.

Our school has a policy of zero tolerance on bullying and high expectations for behaviour. All relevant policies are available on the school’s website.


How do we assess and evaluate the provision that has been arranged for your child and the progress that they are making?

> Intervention evaluations are completed by the SENCO or other staff leading additional support groups.

> P-levels and progression guidance is used to measure progress for some SEND pupils.

> Termly pupil progress meetings are held with the class teachers and members of the Senior Leadership Team.

> School Target Tracker is used to record, monitor and analyse assessment data for all core subjects.

> My Plan Annual Review Meetings are held for some SEND pupils.

> Information is shared with parents at parent consultation evenings and through their child’s annual report.


How do we arrange and support SEND pupils transfer to another school/educational establishment?

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.


If your child is moving child to another school:

> We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.

> We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

> When moving classes in school:

> Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Plans will be shared with the new teacher.

> If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on, then it will be made available for them.


In Year 6:

> The SENCO will liaise with the SENCO of their secondary school to ensure that the specific needs of your child are met.

> Your child may be invited to additional visits at their new Secondary school, designed for pupils with SEND.

> Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


Where can you find our SEND policy(s) and what is the role of the governors?

All state maintained primary, secondary and special schools, are accountable to their governing bodies, which in turn are accountable to parents and the community.   Parent and staff representatives are elected to the governing body and the local authority appoints governors to the governing body.  In addition, the governing body can appoint its own community governors.


The governing body is responsible for the conduct of its school, and must promote high standards of educational achievement at the school.


The SEND governor must do their best to ensure that the school makes the necessary provision for every pupil with SEND.  He/she provides the link between the governing body and the school in relation to pupils with SEND. It is their role to help raise awareness of SEND issues at governing body meetings and give up-to-date information on SEN provision.


Governors also monitor the provision for Looked After Children and Gifted and Talented children.


Our school has a strong ethos of inclusion for all.  This is reflected in our SEND Policy, which can be found on our website.


What to do if you are not happy?


Who can you contact for more information?

You first point of contact is always the person responsible i.e. the class teacher. The SENCO and the Head teacher are also available.


If you wish to discuss your concerns further or do not feel that they have been resolved, we will arrange a meeting for you with our Chair of Governors, who can be contacted through the school.


Parent Partnership Service (see previous link) provides free, independent advice, regarding all areas of special educational need.

SEND Local Offer for Parents - January 2017

This document is in PDF format. You need a free Adobe Acrobat Reader to read these files.

Early Offer of Help


Being a parent is one of the most important jobs there is - it is also one of the hardest. At Holy Trinity, we believe that parents are the key to giving children a happy and stable childhood.


Every family is different; each needs options from which to choose to find an early solution to challenges as they arise. This solution could be as simple, for example, as talking with a worker in; a Children's Centre; School; with a voluntary worker; a faith worker; a GP; a health visitor or using a self help checklist.


The Early Help Offer (the Offer) is an approach not a service. It respects every family's right to access information to help manage their own lives successfully, whilst guiding them to seek support from appropriate sources. Help can then be agreed as soon as concerns start to emerge.


The 'Offer' is for all children, as issues may arise at any point in a child or young person's life. It includes both universal and targeted /specialist services, to reduce or prevent concerns from growing or becoming entrenched.


Please click on the leaflet to see more details, or call into school for a paper copy.

Early Offer of Help Leaflet - January 2017

This document is in PDF format. You need a free Adobe Acrobat Reader to read these files.